Wednesday, June 20, 2018

2 1/2 Years Old


Hudson is SO BIG. It's like he turned 2 and became a bona fide toddler overnight. He is also super smart. I'm not just saying that because I am his biased mother. I've had four kids now and he is the most advanced 26 monther yet. He knows all his colors. I will catch him singing the alphabet to himself. If someone counts to 3, he follows it up with 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Hilariously, the other day we were watching a movie where they said "uno, dos, tres" and Hudson responded with "cuatro, cinco, seis." Ha ha. The kid has some mad learning skills. He is also SO assertive. If he wants to sit on my lap and it is already occupied by someone else, he is not afraid to start attacking that person yelling, "my lap!" If he wants a book read to him, he will pull me by the hand and literally drag me to the couch saying, "Mommy, come." He knows what he wants but he can be reasoned with as well. I can say to him, "First Judah's turn, then Hudsy's turn," and he will stop yelling and sweetly say, "K." Our family just listened to "Beezus and Ramona" and in the book Ramona is naughty and takes just one bite out of every apple in a box of apples. Not one week later, we are in the back yard, and I have gathered up a pile of perfect apples that had fallen off our tree for us to bring inside and eat. Chad called, I got distracted, and when I get off the phone, I turn around to find Hudson sitting in a small pile of apples, each with one bite out of them. :) He has a little runny nose today and he said to me, "Bothering me." I said, "What's bothering you?" and he said, "Nose." How cute is that? I think he learned the word bothering me from the Jungle Book "I Wanna Be Like You" song. "I reached the top and had to stop and that's what's bothering me." Hilarious.





Hudson has hit his independent phase and he also speaks so clearly. He is using full sentences and his little voice is just adorable. He calls himself Ya Ya and refers to himself in third person. He likes to let me know that he wants to try to do things by himself and not with my help. If he pulls the thing off, he exclaims triumphantly, "Ya Ya did it! Not Mommy did it! Ya Ya did it!"
Another something that is so cute I can't even handle is the way Hudson says the color orange. He knows his colors cold now and whenever he sees something orange he says "oranges." For example, "Where oranges socks?" (where are my orange socks?) Gets me every time.
Hudson also likes to say, "How about me?" when he sees others getting something he wants. If I give Judah ibuprofen, Hudson is all in my face saying, "How about me?" If someone gets a cookie in their Primary class, Hudson quickly asks, "How about me?" If the kids are getting their snow boots on to go outside and play, "Hudson comes running over, "How about me?"



The Light of the World statues at Thanksgiving Point

Over the holidays, when the kids and I walked into Candlelight Christmas, like hadn't even crossed the threshold of the gift shop to get our tickets, Hudson tripped in his clunky snow boots and hit his head on a cabinet. I picked him up because he was crying and felt something wet all over my face. I looked at his head and he was bleeding everywhere! I rushed him downstairs to the bathroom (where the hilarious kid started screaming, "No watch a movie!" because we had watched a short film on the Mormon pioneers last time we were there), and cleaned him up. The cut was about a 1 cm linear laceration, just behind his hairline. I thought we should get it stitched up. We have never had a child get stitches before. I didn't think it would be a big deal, so I stayed with the kids at Candlelight Christmas and had Chad run him down to the Holladay location of Medallus for stitches. Unfortunately, Phil didn't feel comfortable doing it because Hudson was screaming and being his crazy self! Ugh. Phil encouraged Chad to take Hudson to Primary Children's ER but I said I would rather do it myself. So Chad came back to This is the Place and switched me spots. He stayed with the kids while I brought Hudson down to the Sandy location of Medallus. Daniel Offret was there, and he used to work in the ER so this was no big deal for him. He stitched Hudson up while I held him tight. That Hudson is a fighter and he screamed his little heart out til he fell asleep. I felt so peaceful and grateful that we had it taken care of, and were also able to keep him out of the ER. Poor little guy.


Scofield





Hudson. Hudson. Hudson. Oh my goodness. He is our most "spirited" child by a million miles. I don't know what to do with him. Everywhere I go, it's a disaster. Yesterday, Judah had gymnastics and Hudson was running all around the mats with his shoes on, and jumping on the little trampolines yelling, "I in nastics! I in nastics!" It is cute but he absolutely refuses to listen to me, so things like this always end up ugly, with me hauling him off while he is kicking and screaming. I try reasoning with him, I try bribing him, I try humor, and occasionally something works, but typically he has a mind of his own. He is incredibly demanding, but simultaneously extremely polite. When he is done with his meals, he starts screaming from his high chair, "Get me outta here!!!" This scream is on repeat until either Chad or I can get ourselves over to him, whereupon he immediately gives the sweetest smile and with the friendliest voice says, "Thank you." This is all very funny to me as I am typing this, but in the moment, when 3 other kids are also screaming for things and the phone is ringing and pots are boiling over, I get so flustered and frustrated and I just want to explode.
Back to yesterday. The only other place at gymnastics besides by the mats, is upstairs on the...bleachers. The worst! Hudson is running and climbing all over those things and falling endlessly. He screams and cries when he gets hurt, and then immediately returns to his kamikaze ways. I am chasing after him, weaving through people, it's a nightmare. His diaper was stinky and he simply would not come to me so I could change him. He kept crawling higher and higher up the bleachers with a come-and-get-me smirk on his face. Finally I tackle him and get him to ground level, and he is screaming because he doesn't want to be changed in the private hallway around the corner, he wants to be changed right in front of the entire bleacher crowd!
 I could go on and on about him pulling all the toys off the shelf at Discovery Preschool as I am trying to sign Baylor up, slamming doors at the orthodontist office, knocking over a wrapping paper display and crawling inside a book shelf at Deseret Book, lining up every beanie boo on the floor behind the cashier at Michael's, and (this is so humiliating) screaming and fighting so loudly with Baylor today in Mara's school office as I was checking her out of school, that the principal came out of his office to see what all the commotion was about. All this in the past 48 hours. We make a scene everywhere we go. I feel like I just need to stop going anywhere. But I can't stand staying home all the time. I don't know which is worse.
 He battles getting into his car seat and buckled EVERY time, he runs out into parking lots and refuses to hold my hand, he bolts through store aisles without a care of where I might be, he breaks nearly everything he touches, he screams when we listen to anything but scripture scouts in the van (give me strength!), he is simply a menace. He was so easy from about October until early January. Now he is harder than ever. In a new way. He plays much nicer with Baylor and his older siblings now and it is easier to be home with him. He doesn't need to be in the same room with me anymore, nor does he need to be constantly entertained anymore, nor does he pull everything out of the shelves anymore. He is mainly really hard to take anywhere. I have never had a child with this bad of a case of the terrible twos. I always really loved two year olds.
Despite this exasperated rant, I do love Hudson. He can be so cute and cuddly. I love when he crawls into my lap or arms and puts his head on my shoulder. He is getting into picture books instead of board books and I am so happy about that. No more, "This is a dog. This is a hippo." I can actually read him the words and he is interested. The other day Chad was putting Hudson to bed and he said, "I'm going to get your banky (blanket) and bop (paci) and we are going to go to bed, ok?" Hudson looked Chad defiantly and said, "No K!"
Judah was recently helping Hudson say a prayer (whispering the words in his ear) and when Judah would say, "Um," Hudson would say, "Um."
Hudson gets attacked in the mornings. As soon as he wakes up, Chad or I are usually holding him, or we bring him to our bed with us. As the other kids wake up, they immediately start clawing at Hudson, pulling on his legs if he is in our arms, or climbing all over him if we are in our bed. Poor Hudson screams, "No! No! No!" but the kids can't help themselves. They just want them some Hudson hugs when they wake up. I do too. He is so nice to cuddle.






Hudson is such an amazing talker. He basically speaks fluently now. It's so impressive. I think he's gonna be a smart one. His little voice is just to die for. And he leaves the "s" sound off the first of words. He is OBSESSED with the Scripture Scouts CD and as SOON as he puts his foot in the van, he starts screaming, "I need cripture couts!" It's so cute. And sometimes annoying. I have OD'd on cripture couts. At bedtime he says, "I need a tory. I hate songs! I need a tory."
He is one bossy little 2 year old. All the kids will be on the tramp, and he has no problem getting on and immediately yelling, "Top (stop) jumping guys! I said top jumping! Let ME jump!" Or if we are in the van and all talking and he can't quite understand everything, ye yells, "Top talking! No talking!" He thinks he's in charge. And he kind of is.   
He is also very exuberant about life. He can get excited about just about anything, and he jumps and skips around and runs into my arms with excitement. He has this happy little "Yep!" instead of yes when I ask him questions, and sometimes it’s a cute little, "Yeps!" He also has a really perky "Welcome!" for you're welcome, followed by him running away on his cute little legs. He often uses "welcome!" for please, which is just the cutest. I'll set him in his chair to eat and he'll say, "Welcome!" Or I'll give him his sippy cup and he says, "Welcome!"  
Last Monday I said, "After we get dinner cleaned up it will be time for FHE." Hudson, who had been silent the entire meal, yells out, "Why Mom?!?!"
Another day, I had told him that Rosie Spencer was 2, and when he realized that he and Rosie were the same age, he got a big grin on his face and said, "She's a baby!" Ever since then, he has been much nicer to her. He has accepted her into his circle and they play so well together. The Spencers sit on the row in front of us in church and Hudson gets under the bench and says, "Rosie! Where are you Rosie?" and then she will get down on the floor, "Here I am!"
Hudson decided to inquire about the other Spencer children as well. One day he said to me, "What Eliza's number?" At first I couldn't figure out what he meant, and then I said, "Oh. You mean her age? She's 7." Hudson smiled big and said, "Ooooh." Then, "What Isaiah's number?" "Isaiah is 4 honey." "Oooooh." "What Charlie's number?" "Charlie is 9 sweetheart." "Ooooh." Hudson felt very enlightened and knowledgeable.
We had booked tickets to see the children's production of the Wizard of Oz with my parents before my mom's big heart attack. We ended up still going and then Dad spent the day with my kids while I spent the day helping Mom get settled (she had come home from the hospital the day before). The wicked witch of the west was scary!!!! She had a deafening cackle and they played loud music and smoke and it was very intense! I had poor little Hudson on my lap, and the first time she came on, he practically jumped from my lap to on top of my head and clung on for dear life. His heart was pounding! Then I began to smell a stinky smell. The poor thing was so scared, he pooped his diaper! Just a little squirt. But, that's some real fear! I took him out. Poor little thing. I feel bad subjecting him to that. I hadn't anticipated the witch being so intense!



No comments:

Post a Comment